Saturday, August 30, 2008

5lbs 5.5 oz!


Yesterday was pretty busy and successful. I first took her to the breastfeeding clinic (our first outing). They weighed her - 5lbs, 2 oz. I was so thrilled! I then breastfed her and they weighed her again. She had taken 75 ccs, which translates into 2 and a half ounces. Wow! This is more than we give her by the bottle! So, it was great to know I was doing good with breastfeeding. We then took her to her first check up appointment. They weighed her and confirmed- she now weighed 5 lbs, 5.5 ounces. The doctor said she looks good. She also explained she will be high risk for a year - until she catches up with her peers because she was born 2 months premature. (It is still hard for me to believe how early she was - I mean, 9 weeks is a long time when pregnancy only lasts a total of 40.)


We asked her about the strict nature of the isolation and keeping her home and away from kids. She said that Scarlet can start to receive her shots and that should help. So, Scarlet got three immunization shots and one oral immunization. The doctor said she should be able to finally meet her cousins in 7-10 days! Since we have a whole lot of family birthdays coming up (including my husband's, September 6, which is also Scarlet's due date), this was very great news! I know we still have to be extremely careful, but I was happy to know we are not "stuck" at home for what seemed like forever. Since she had three shots, though, she has been worn out. She isn't as fussy as I thought she would be, but she is sleeping ALOT! It is good, since I think she needs the rest - and we are able to catch up on other things, but I hope she snaps out of it soon. It's been 24 hours. She is still eating her regular amounts for the most part. So...


This coming week, we are also starting our Parenting Preemies group/class. I am excited about it. We will finally be able to talk to other parents who have preemies as well. We will also be able to get some specific support and information on how to care for her now that she is out of the NICU. Yeah! We are ready to get more help!

5 comments:

Helen said...

WOW!! What a big girl!!! I love the picture of her and her little lamb. You should take a picture of her with it as she grows. I bet she will pass the lamb in no time. :)

Jennifer said...

Yippee on Scarlett doing so well with her breastfeeding! Are you doing the class with Valerie at SACH? You will LOVE her and the class. Like I said on the phone, we took it twice because we enjoyed it and learned so much. I enjoy reading your blog, as it reminds me of what we went thru and how far we have come since my preemies were born. Thanks for keeping it up.

Robin said...

What a cutie! I love watching her grow. I am looking forward to seeing and holding her sometime soon.
I'm glad to hear that she is doing such a great job breastfeeding. Keep up the good work Scarlet.

Robin

Anonymous said...

To Dad Len and Mom Jenna ... we are so very proud of the way the two of you are taking care of your beautiful little girl. She has shown to all of us how strong and determined she is to get on with her life. Like I have said, this is a marathon and al three of you have shown that you have what it takes to grw together through adversity. It tkes strength to go on when you are exhausted and it takes strength to seek appropriate help to get you through.

This granddaughter of ours has brought strength to the family, and shown her mom and dad just how strong and loving you are. Each day is a step forward to your future.

Ditto.. Wow.. 5 pounds 5 ounces.. and gaining. Go Scarlet! Our own little Gold Medal Winner. Love Grandma Linda and Grandpa Frank

Anonymous said...

S.R.

Keep getting bigger. I can say this now. But not when she is a teenager.

Len and Jenna. Keep of the good work.

Jimmy