Saturday, August 9, 2008

Prayers Please


We have been told this is normal for preemies, but it is still scary to us all the same...


As you know, she started bottle and breast feeding over a week ago. Well, a couple of days ago, the occupational therapist noticed that she didn't have the same amount of energy as before during feedings. So, they ordered a blood test. Turns out that her hemoglobin was low. So, the ordered iron...


Apparently, preemies have a very difficult time recreating red blood cells, and since so many blood tests are done while they are in the hospital, they can't seem to catch up. I guess it is normal for preemies who have been in the hospital for about a month (or more) to have this problem. If the iron doesn't work well enough (and in my opinion, it is not), then she will need a blood transufusion.


So, yesterday morning, Len and I scrambled to get his blood banked for her. It takes 4 days for them to process his blood for her. The doctor will be evaluating her for a need of a blood transfusion, just in time for Len's blood to be ready. Every time I see her (which is twice a day now - to breastfeed), she looks more and more tired. Last night, in fact, she wouldn't even wake up for me. The nurse also said she didn't wake up for her diaper change and was hardly alert during her bath. This is due to her low energy level - and possible need for Daddy's blood.


We are told that once she gets this, she will show an immediate boost in energy (within a few hours). However, I am sure this sets her back in terms of coming home soon. I am in no rush - I want her very very well and ready to come home. I am just praying she gets through this "normal" bump as easily as possible.


2 comments:

Grandma Fishy said...

We're looking forward to hearing good news. Scarlet is always in our prayers

Hugs, The Pasternaks

Robin said...

I am sorry to hear about the little "bump" in the road. I pray each day for Scarlet and will continue to pray that she gets over this "bump", as I know she will. She is a little fighter. Soon she will be full of energy.

My prayers are with you,
Robin