Friday, August 15, 2008

The Rollercoaster Ride














The pictures are of her blood transfusion (the second one).


Ok - I knew that with children we must learn flexibilty, but boy oh boy!!!

Len and I went in early this morning to try to catch her during her "more awake" time, especially now that she has received her blood transfusion - she's a "whole new baby..."

Yeah - right!

She was totally asleep and we couldn't even wake her up. This was the second time I have not been able to wake her up at all. It is a little scary, but since it already happened before and she is receiving the transfusions now, I am less worried about it.

We asked the nurse, a nurse who has taken care of Scarlet quite a bit over her 38 days in the hospital, when she thought Scarlet might be going home. She said, "Oh, about a couple of weeks." We about died laughing. We were thrown into such a tizzy yesterday over the "a couple of days" comment and felt we were not ready that to hear "a couple of weeks" felt like such a relief - and so comical at the same time.

The doctor checked her out and said her blood count came back good, but it could be better. So, he ordered a second transfusion for today. That will be another ounce, making it a total of 2 ounces.

Then the nurse said it would be a good idea for me to start coming more often. Since the goal is for her to nipple feed at each feeding -and my goal is for her to breastfeed - it would be good that I maximize my time there so I can catch her during her more awake and alert hours - as opposed to trying to wake her up.

So, three times a day is what we are looking at. I will work through the actually schedule gradually over the weekend, but I should have it all figured out just in time for things to change again. Hahahaha! Oye!

1 comment:

Helen said...

Wow! You're right! ROLLERCOASTER RIDE!!!

After last night's news, I've been telling anyone who can hear...my granddaughter is coming home!!!! :)

As soon as she can. :)