Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Scarlet on the Go


These last two days have been very busy for Scarlet.


Yesterday, the three of us went to our first meeting of Parenting Preemies. This is an organization that is free for parents with preemies. It is a 10 week class/support group - and it is just what the doctor ordered for us at just the right time. It is associated with San Antonio Hospital - and run by a NICU RN. We brought Scarlet with us and met other preemie babies and parents. There were about 6 other families with all different experiences. I will be honest - I am overwhelmed by the fact that Scarlet is the youngest and smallest of the group. It made me realize just how much more hard work lies ahead for us.


Up until this point, my major concern has been making sure she stays healthy - because God forbid, I don't want her returning to the hosptial. This is why we have taken the idea of 2 month seclusion and staying away from kids so seriously. However, meeting other preemies - and seeing them - made me realize the next major concern for Scarlet is that she develops and grows. She will be behind her peers. Even though she is two months old now (almost), she is still supposed to be in the womb. She is still "negative one week," as Len would say. She is still acting like a newborn. And she will act like a newborn for another month or so. The moms there say they don't tell people their babies real age - they tell them their "corrected age," the age they would be if they were born on their due date. So, in a month from now - even though it will be 3 months from her birth, Scarlet's corrected age will be 1 month - and we need to make sure she is developed as a 1 month old.


To help us with this, we have the Parenting Preemies group for emotional and educational support. Scarlet has also qualified for a program called Early Start. In a few weeks, there will be someone who will come out to our home and assess what we have and are doing for Scarlet's development and then help us with playtime and games to encourage her to develop on target with her peers. This program, from my understanding, will stay with us for three years - until the time she is ready for preschool and she will be caught up completely by then (Although, Scarlet's doctor says she should be caught up within 9 months to a year.) We also have the fact that she is categorized as a high risk baby for a year and will receive more checkups and help through Kaiser.


Today, in fact, Scarlet went to her eye doctor's appointment. Now, when I was a baby, I had strabisnis and needed surgery at 7 months. I hadn't fully appreciated the pain my parents went through to watch me go through that until today. They had to dilate her eyes (3 different drops, 3 different times). Then the offered for me to leave the room - I stayed. They held her down, pried her eyes open, put a brite light in them - and I don't know what else - to check her retnas. Apparently, all babies who are born prior to 32 weeks are in danger of having underdeveloped retnas. Scarlet is developing just fine, but we have to go back again in 3 weeks. Knowing that they will do this again, I am sure, will be harder. Oh well, at least she is doing well - and she handled it very well. She feel asleep (after screaming her head off) as soon as they let her go. They said she was the best baby they have ever had. Good for you, Scarlet! All that NICU training has paid off - You know how to handle stress!


Tomorrow, we will go to my first meeting with the post pardum depression support group(yes, I have been diagnosed with this - but many, including the doctor, say it is no wonder that I do have this - it is manifesting itself more in fear, worry, and anxiety - and not wanting to stop). Since the diagnosis over a week ago, I have been more acutely aware of how little sleep I was getting and both Len and I have made an effort for me to get more. The group, I am sure will offer more concrete advice for us.


Then we will stay for the breastfeeding clinic and see how she does this week. She has been going through a growth spurt - eating every hour or two, and eating alot. In fact, Daddy just fed her 90 cc's - that's 3 ounces! Not bad for a "newborn."


We did weigh her yesterday - 5 lbs, 8 1/2 oz!


By the way - thanks everyone for still reading and keeping up with us. I enjoy seeing your comments and when I talk to you, I like that you are already updated. So, thank you for still being right by our side. I truly appreciate all of you.

6 comments:

Robin said...

Thank you so much for updating us on Scarlet's progress and all that you and Len are going through.
I am happy to see all the resources available for you and that you are taking advantage of them. I'm sure they will be very helpful.
Keep up the good work Vandegrift family.

Robin

Stef said...

She looks so cute in her stroller! :) I am glad to hear that you are going to support classes! I think that is great. Scarlet is a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there!! It is a challenging road, and you realize that we are here for you. It's great that there is so much support out there for you. I know it's not always easy or in the schedule, but make sure that you and Len have some time together too. I'm sure you would have no problem finding a babysitter :) for a couple of hours for you two to get out and just reacquaint yourselves with the outside world.
Oh, she's just tooooo cute!! She looks so dainty, oh that "southern belle"!!

Anonymous said...

Scarlet, just remember.."A Persons a Person, no matter how small."
From Grandma Linda

Helen said...

I, too, appreciate all your efforts to keep us updated on your blog. And, this coming from her Gramma. Even though I get to see her pretty often, it's still great to read all her progress. Love, love, love that little girl!!

psmith said...

We are so happy for your family...to have sweet Scarlet home and doing so well! Continued blessings!