Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Scarlet Rose - A Newborn

We've come a long way, baby! Scarlet Rose has reached her duedate! She is now 9 weeks old from her birthdate, July 9th and a newborn at her corrected age.

She weighed in yesterday at 6lbs 1 oz! Way to go Scarlet! (and mommy had something to do with it too!)

So many people still comment how small she is. She is very small - and I know she will never be this small again. In fact, she is the smallest in our Parenting Preemies group. However, I wanted to post this old picture to show a difference in her growth...

Here she is in the hospital. Notice all of the wires? Gosh, I can't believe that so much of the time I was in NICU, I mentally blocked them out. Now, when I look at these pictures I see them so clearly. See her ribs? She was 3lbs, 3oz at birth...
and her she is today - (no more ribs) 6lbs, 1oz (or more)!

and her she is saying, "What? You thought I couldn't plump up? Watch me - I'll grow some more before your very eyes!"
and here is her favorite place in the whole world - on her tummy in someone's, anyone's arms...
So, we got what we wished for. Just yesterday, we were telling our Parenting Preemies group how we were frustrated and confused by the fact that she doesn't really cry. Especially when she is waking up to eat. She grunts a heck of a lot - but she could grunt for hours and not be hungry. We used to get her up because she was grunting - and we thought she was hungry - only to spend an hour or more trying to coax her awake to eat. So, we wanted the baby signal - cry, please.

Oh boy! Just yesterday we were wanting this... and today... well, she must have heard us because she has cried for every feeding... A cry that sounds like she hasn't been fed in days. I want to close all of the windows so the neighbors don't think we have abandoned her. We have not left her alone - I promise... she cries very loudly now, especially when we are trying to change her diaper before a feeding and she kicks the new clean diaper away while continue to poop and pee all over everything. Sometimes we go through 3-5 diapers in one diaper change episode. Thank goodness she got Daddy a bunch of diapers for his birthday!

But, she is precious and we love her!

2 comments:

Helen said...

It's amazing to see the picture of her in the hospital and her now. My, she's grown!!!

donnaosh said...

Hi Jenna and Len,
So happy that you three stopped by the other day. Happy to hear all is well. Scarlett is beautiful. You guys did a great job! I would love to keep in touch via email. My address is: donnaosh@yahoo.com. I know I'm just down the street, but sometimes email is easier especially now that you are a busy mom and i"m back at work.
Your neighbor, Donna O