Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tired Mom

While Scarlet Rose is doing better all the time, I am getting more and more tired. One thing that is driving me crazy are the nurses - especially the lactation nurses - who don't seem to agree on anything. I have been told so many different things on how to set up a pump schedule - every 3 hours, every 4 hours, 15 minutes only, get all the milk out, push to 30 minutes. Oh yeah, and through the night too. And at leat 8 times in a 24 hour period. They are also all surprised that I am getting 3-4 ounces each time I pump (so the freezer is about half full now). Since she was born, I have not gotten more than 3-4 hours of sleep at a time. My mind is mush and it is hard to keep logical thoughts in my head. I know that all moms experience this -being tired- but I must say that this pump schedule (pumping, cleaning, measuring, storing, and bringing into the NICU without it thawing one bit in this heat), plus driving back and forth (most days twice a day), plus keep other appointments (since my incision decided to open and get infected), and not being able to take her home, breastfeed her, and just stay home - well, I am worn out.

I am ok - just coplaining. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi, I am a friend of Stephanie V. and wanted to tell you that Scarlett is beautiful. I also had a preemie born at 31 weeks two years ago and another born at 35 weeks 10 months ago had to do the pumping thing both times. It sounds like your expressing a lot of milk just like I did. Because I was expressing more milk than my baby was taking in at one feeding, I ended up cutting out the 12am and 3am pumpings so that I could get some sleep. Yes, I would wake up engorged, but it was worth it to me. Of course, once they came home I couldn't do that anymore, but I found that I was much more tired than the average new mom because of the need to pump and all the drives to and from the NICU. Hope this helps you and best wishes.

Matt, Becky, Eric, Ryan, and Kelly said...

You don't know me but I came across your blog through Steph's. I haven't had a preemie or had to pump round the clock but I did pump quite a bit for my first baby. I found this website an amazing help. www.breastfeeding.com

The message board/forum was the best part. Tons of helpful moms - you can ask anything. I was able to ignore all the nurses and lactation consultants and even teach my doctor a few things by talking to these moms. Good luck!!!